Frequently Asked Questions:
What we are:
- Safe space for trans youth
- Summer overnight camp
- Informally, yet responsibly structured
- Low stress!
What we are not:
- A therapeutic camp
- A family camp
Who will be at camp?
- Campers age 12-17
- House parents
- Social workers / therapists
- Specialists (for activities and workshops)
- Administrative staff
* Prior to camp, a youth advisory board will be working with the adult board to address as many concerns and ideas as possible in advance
What will the sleeping arrangements be?
- Most cabins will have five to seven campers and at least two counselors
- Cabins will be arranged by age groups, not gender
- Campers will also be able to make certain requests, which will be honored within limits
What about my child's special dietary needs?
- Food options for all dietary needs will be available
What kinds of activities will be available?
- Campers will be able to choose from a variety of traditional camp activities as well as a number of trans-focused activities. Before coming to camp, and while at camp, campers will help select what is offered. Some examples of offering anticipated are:
- High ropes course
- Arts and crafts
- Making binders and gaffes
How will activities work?
- Activities will be available for small groups and the whole camp. Exceptions can be made where necessary.
- A wide range of activities will be available on any given day. The staff will get to know the campers, and adjust the curriculum to meet their needs whenever possible.
What would a typical day look like?
Optional pre-breakfast activity
Cabin Cleanup (except Kitchen Cleanup Chore)
Activity Two (then snack at activity)
Activity Four (then cabin/wash up)
Dinner and clean up
Whole camp activity (includes snack)
What will this fantastic life-changing experience cost?
- The cost of running the camp will be roughly $850.00 per camper. Through fundraising and grants we hope to offer significant financial aid to those who need it. This camp, and spaces like it, are so important to the development and peace of mind of the youth who participate that we do not think cost should be a barrier to attending.
- We would like to be able to offer stipends to as many of the adult staff as possible, although there have been many who have offered services free of charge.
- Donations are happily accepted, as are referrals for campers or counselors.
- Please contact email@example.com to further discuss financials.
Where is Camp Lilac located?
- Camp Lilac is located in Northeast Ohio. We do not disclose the actual location of camp until your child has registered due to safety concerns. We have campers and counselors from all over Ohio and neighboring states, so we can often arrange carpools to camp if that is a concern.